Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The King's Speech

We saw the King's Speech the other night and was very impressed. The focus on the development of the characters in the period setting brought back memories of Chariots of Fire. The film contained wonderful performances with gentle humour and I walked out with lots to reflect on.

Firstly, the absurdity of the monarchy and their privileged lifestyle. Yet how insecure and meaningless their lives must feel at times. It is good that the republican issue is back on the agenda thanks to Parky in his Australia Day speech.

It is also a good look at leadership, at styles of leadership and at the majority who want to be led. Many in leadership are often unwilling to ask for help, or deny they need it, as any sign of weakness becomes a threat to their authority. It is all too often the nameless people behind the scenes propping up the leader. The leader who clings to power, doesn't delegate or lift those underneath them loses their real power - the faith and belief of those they lead.

Lastly, the King's stutter brought me to reflect on myself in my earlier years at school and the few years following. I was very shy, found it difficult in groups of people yet loved to hide in a large crowd, tried to often act melancholic to stop people talking to me and felt more lonely with people than when alone. When I left school I just felt I was too shy to go to Teacher's College and it was even suggested that I go to Toastmasters to raise my confidence. It was not until I started working in bottle shops and pubs that I began to come out of my shell more and started to gain confidence to speak more in public.

I then began to have irregular classic migraines where I couldn't think of the names of words of what I was thinking of. Once I began teaching I would often get the initial symptoms of one a migraine. I had to see a neurologist who made me hyperventilate which brought on these symptoms. He helped me realise that when I get in nervous situations I stop breathing properly. Ever since, I have just focused on breathing and haven't had a problem when speaking in public (many people probably still wished I did and would shut up.) Job interviews, however, are another matter altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment